After 24 years of running literary translation summer schools, the BCLT Summer School is a vibrant, tried and tested format for the professional development of literary translators. Not only does it provide a nurturing environment for translators to work on their craft; it also establishes a valuable network of translators, editors, publishers and indeed friends from around the world.
The core activity of the week is the literary translation workshops, led by experienced literary translators and editors, working from a range of languages into English. We also include in the programme two creative writing sessions for literary translators with authors writing in English, as well as plenary sessions addressing various aspects of the theory and practice of literary translation, with a focus on professional development for translators.
- Japanese (Advanced) – This year’s workshop is for mid-career literary translators and/or translators that have previously attended a Japanese workshop at the BCLT Summer School
- Literature from Flanders – Suitable for Dutch to English translators – no previous knowledge of Flemish literature required
- Multilingual Poetry
- Multilingual Prose
- Multilingual Theatre
- Training the Trainer
All workshops are translating into English.
Please take a look at the Petra-E Framework to get an idea of the level of experience required to apply. The BCLT Summer School is suitable for translators that consider themselves Level 2 (Advanced Learner) or Level 3 (Early Career Professional).
To apply for the Summer School, you must:
- Download, complete and return the 2024 BCLT Summer School Application Form.
- Download, complete and return the 2024 BCLT Summer School Personal Details Form.
- Email them both as separate PDF files to [email protected].
The application form asks for a sample translation of up to 400 words. Please include the original extract and your English translation.
Please save your completed application form and personal details form as separate PDFs and ensure that your FULL NAME is included in the file names.
Deadline for applications is 11.59pm BST on Sunday 31 March 2024.
The BCLT Summer School is run in partnership with the British Centre for Literary Translation and is generously supported by a number of national and international sponsors: Arts Council England, Flip Through Flanders – Flanders Literature, Goethe-Institut London, LTI Korea, New Books in German, Poetry Translation Centre, Pro Helvetia, Sheik Zayed Book Award, The Yanai Initiative and Translators Aloud.