Writing Science Fiction: Characters & Point of View
By the end of the course you will:
- Understand the difference between archetypes and stereotypes
- Know how to build characters through observation
- Understand the importance of point-of-view
- Be able to use first, second and third person perspectives
- Be able to combine character and situations to generate a plot
Ian Nettleton has a doctorate in Creative & Critical Writing from UEA (2003). His first novel, The Last Migration, set in the Australian outback, was runner-up for both the 2014 Bath Novel Award prize for literature and the inaugural Bridport Prize/Peggy Chapman-Andrews First Novel Award. He has also worked for the BBC as a writer and presenter, critiqued novels for The Literary Consultancy and published short fiction in a number of anthologies. He was shortlisted for the Bridport Flash Fiction Prize 2019, the Edinburgh International Flash Fiction Award 2020, longlisted for the Winter Reflex Fiction Competition 2019 and longlisted for the Ellipsis Flash Fiction Collection Competition 2020.