How do you make a living as a writer?
Led by Sam Ruddock, you’ll learn about the ins and outs of budget making, bid writing, and the publishing industry. You’ll interrogate the business side of your creative life through a series of exercises to get you re-evaluating your goals and focussing on your finances.
In this course you will:
- Learn about the different challenges of self-publishing vs traditional publishing.
- Calculate how much you can charge for your work.
- Design a realistic budget to help you manage finances throughout the life-cycle of a project.
- Learn the definition of Ikigai and how you can apply this ethos to your planning.
- Explore the current funding climate and the grant options open to you as a writer.
Sam Ruddock is an arts producer with decades of experience helping artists and writers see their work come to life. He is passionate about books, stories, and the way they can foster conversation and connection.
In 2014 he founded Story Machine, originally to explore how literature can be a live artform and how readers can engage communally with stories. Since then, it has grown to become a publisher, and offers services to help artists thrive.