Poems in Homes
Poems in Homes is a partnership between the National Centre for Writing and Age UK, offering residents in care settings and 16- to- 25-year-olds an opportunity to explore poetry and writing together through discussion and reminiscence work. The visiting poet (young person) will spend a minimum of three sessions in a care setting with residents, and then write an original ‘poem for the home’ which will be printed and given to the care setting as a gift.
We are currently recruiting 16- to- 25-year-olds for this opportunity for placements in Norwich to start in early 2019.
What we’re looking for
- 16- to- 25-year-olds with an interest in poetry and working with older people
- Commitment to a minimum of three sessions at a local care setting in Norwich between January and April 2019
- Available for a training and information session with the National Centre for Writing and Age UK in January 2019
- Commitment to write a poem for the home with support from the National Centre for Writing
What you’ll get in return
- Free Dementia Friends training, information session from Age UK and the National Centre for Writing
- A volunteers’ DBS check certificate
- Reimbursement for travel for your placement – which will be in Norwich
- Support, encouragement and editorial guidance from the National Centre for Writing on writing your poem
- Your poem printed and framed for your care setting placement
If you are interested in taking part, please contact Hannah Garrard, Learning & Participation Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org