NCW Book Club Discussion: Sudden Traveller
Join us and share your passion for reading!
We’re delighted to welcome you to the grounds of the beautiful Dragon Hall in Norwich for a socially distanced, in-person book club discussion. Every two months the NCW Book Club meets online and in person to discuss some of the best works in contemporary literature. We explore short stories, novels, non-fiction, poetry, and works in translation, making these informal and friendly sessions the perfect way to meet like-minded readers and to discover exciting new reads. This session will take place in person, socially distanced in the garden and we invite you to BYOB (bring your own biscuits!).
We are reading Sudden Traveller by Sarah Hall (published by Faber) – her third story collection. Featuring her signature themes of identity, eroticism and existential quest, these new stories travel far afield in location and ambition. A winner of the BBC National Short Story Award 2020, the book has been described as ‘an ambitious, powerful and, at times, deeply unsettling book’ (Observer).
Spaces are limited so we recommend booking your place in advance. This discussion will take place in person at Dragon Hall, please read our Covid safety guidelines below. If for any reason the event cannot go ahead in person, we will move it online (Zoom) and let people know a week in advance of any change to the venue.
Sudden Traveller is available for purchase from The Book Hive or from other independent bookshops. The first ten customers that mention the NCW Book Club can purchase Sudden Traveller at the special discounted price of £6 from The Book Hive.
Can’t make this time? We’re also running a virtual discussion on Friday 17 September at 5.30pm BST online (Zoom).
Looking for other ways to get involved with the NCW Book Club from home? Read our handy guide here!
National Centre for Writing is dedicated to ensuring the safety of our staff, partners, performers and visitors during the COVID-19 outbreak. As such, we have implemented various measures in line with government guidance, to ensure that your visit to the magnificent Dragon Hall is as safe and enjoyable as possible. Please familiarise yourself with our precautionary measures ahead of your visit:
- The venue’s capacity has been largely reduced, and all seating will be socially distanced, outside in the garden.
- The NCW team will all be wearing appropriate PPE (face covering or visors) to greet you at the door and additional sanitisation points have been added throughout the building.
- On arrival, visitors will queue socially distanced down the side of Dragon Hall on Old Barge Lane, and will be admitted one at a time by a member of staff. Adults must wear face coverings inside (unless medically exempt).
Please note: if you or anyone in your ‘bubble’ develops Coronavirus symptoms or have been asked to self-isolate you must not attend Dragon Hall. Please email our box office firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend for these reasons.
Upon arrival, you will notice signage indicating a one way system, hand sanitising stations and social distancing requirements. Please follow our guidelines to ensure the safety of our colleagues and other visitors:
- You will enter from the glass doors on Old Barge Lane and exit via the garden gates. Toilets are available. Some cubicles are marked as not in use to ensure social distancing between stalls, and visitors are requested to be considerate and to follow social distancing, with one ‘bubble’ entering at a time. Disabled toilets are also available.
- Our cloakroom storage will not be accessible, but you will be able to take your belongings into the garden with you. Ticket bookers will be issued with e-tickets, and box office staff will have your names on their booking lists. There will be no refreshments or food available at Dragon Hall but you are welcome to bring your own snacks.
If you have any further questions about our COVID Safety measures, or about the venue, please contact us at email@example.com or call 01603 877177 between our working hours of 9am – 5pm BST, Monday to Friday.