Writers’ Centre Norwich invites applications for a residency opportunity for writers and translators from Japan. We are offering two UK residencies of up to four weeks each, in July and August 2017, with the support of the Nippon Foundation.
The overall aim of these residencies is to promote contemporary Japanese writing and culture in the UK. The residencies offer time to write or translate, in the peaceful surroundings of Norwich, UNESCO City of Literature. There will also be the opportunity to travel to other parts of the UK for research purposes.
Deadline for applications is Monday 24 April 2017.
Who can apply?
The residencies are open to creative writers and literary translators based in Japan, with an interest in spending time in the UK. You will need to demonstrate some track record of publication. We will give priority to applicants with a good working knowledge of English.
How to apply
As part of your application, you will need to provide the following:
- a cover letter explaining why you want to do the residency, how you will meet its aims, what you will bring to it and what you hope to gain from it;
- an outline of the writing or translation project you will focus on during the residency;
- your preferred dates for the residency (July or August)
- a CV or resume;
- a short sample of your writing or translation work.
Please send your application to email@example.com by Monday 24 April 2017.
What we offer
- Up to four weeks in the UK to work on the writing or translation project of your choice
- Return economy class airfare from Japan to the UK
- Self-catering accommodation in the centre of Norwich
- Small stipend to cover living costs
- Some travel within the UK for research purposes
- Support from the staff at WCN.
What you will offer
- A willingness to promote contemporary Japanese writing and culture, and to engage in the literary and cultural life of Norwich
- Two short blog pieces about your experience in Norwich
- Your availability for any interview, filming or media opportunities that may arise during your stay.